Wednesday, December 21

A Milkmaid of Life

A Milkmaid of Life


It has been said that as we are born, the moment a breath of air passes through our lungs for the first time, death already begins to wait for us. Every moment we spend living; there is always the threat of death around the corner. Imagine it as a somber clown, lurking in every happy birthday, wickedly rejoicing because the celebrant is a year older and therefore, closer to death.

After undergoing several Theology and Philosophy classes, I now truly understand that our world is one made up of beginnings and endings. Nothing is permanent, they say. Just like having a scoop of ice cream in a cup while walking in the park, you realize that no matter how much you shield it from the sun, it still melts.

Might as well lick-lick-lick and enjoy it than have sticky goo in between your fingers, right?

When I was younger, I always wondered why characters in movies would talk about being scared of dying, whether they be young or old. I have always had this strange sense of solace when it comes to the thought of "resting in peace" as though I find it a better position than living in this world. Perhaps, attributing partly to my easygoing nature, I have chosen not to worry or fret too much about things that which I have no control of. I find that worrying about those things is a waste of time, since no complaints or tears will affect the outcome.

Essentially, I just want to live my life the best I can, come what may. I try to make the most of what little I have—may it be resources or time. Just like a diligent milkmaid, I wake up every morning and receive whatever it is that the cow (Life) has to offer, taking each day at a time.

I have learned to accept that death is inevitable, and perceive it as peaceful rather than frightening state. This is why I live by the principle of following one's passion, no matter how absurd or far-fetched it may be to other people, because I believe that only through this can true fulfillment be met. If I be (knock on wood thrice) struck down by lightning tomorrow morning, may I be found crispy, golden-brown and smiling on the floor. As imperfect humans, there is really nothing more we can give than our very best--and that is exactly what I intend to do.

I may not be "the chosen one" to finally eliminate poverty or discover a cure for AIDS. The odds are, I won't even be a mover or a shaker of our society. But despite not creating a huge mark in history, I know that I have a purpose, a mission in this lifetime, and no matter how little or insignificant it may be to the rest of the world, I will die happy knowing I have fulfilled that role in every way I can.

0 comments:

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr