Sunday, March 27

Exchanging Letters

Exchanging Letters



Hummin': My Boo by Usher/Alicia Keys


Yesterday, I found myself sorting through my white drawer of old stationaries, which was under my bed. There were more than a hundred unopened sets; some of them were scented, some had embossed details and some had famous cartoon characters.

As a little girl, I always loved receiving letters. And what better way to ensure that you receive letters than by first sending some to others? My friends and I, even though we saw and talked to each other everyday in school, still wrote to each other once or twice a week. I'm glad that I managed to save about half of them.

Majority of those, as I discovered yesterday, were full of crap (sorry). There were plenty of "how are you's," "KIT-Keep In Touch," "JAPAN-Just Always Pray At Night," "TCCIC=Take Care Coz I Care," and the reassuring "FF-Friends Forever!" at the end. Most of which, I believe, were not even half-meant by giggly elementary girls. But we loved reading them anyway.

As silly as it seems today, I believe that exchanging those letters also had a huge effect on how our friendships were cemented. Oddly enough, those letters that I managed to keep (unintentionally losing others) were from elementary and highschool friends that I remain very close to until this very day. While many of the letters I know I received, but lost, were from other friends who don't care less to what happens to me.

Maybe it was a silly ritual, or just a fad, but writing letters to my girlfriends allowed me to express my gratitude for their friendships. Now that I think about it, each letter I wrote carried a message of "Thank you for being my friend." In return, even if words were unwritten, I believe their letters to me also meant, "You're welcome...and thank you, too."


PS: Due to people asking for help with layouts, I'm making two layouts for girly (Hehe...Sorry guys!) blogs and will be releasing them for FREE early next week. Check back for updates!

0 comments:

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr