Saturday, February 25

The 2nd...& 3rd Interview!

The 2nd...& 3rd Interview



I waited agonizingly for less than 24 hours when that call arrived, asking me to come in for another interview that morning. I woke up that day, dressed in the nines and prepared myself mentally for a possible beating.

I was right to expect such interrogation.

I waited for an hour and a half for the PR director, seated in that waiting area with nothing to stare at but my ticking watch because she was busy with a lot of things. And I understand; it's just that I really was bored out of my mind. After that agonizing length of time, she finally came out and said, "You've been waiting for an hour and a half, I owe you coffee. Come, come, come..."

Unexpecting that welcome note, I stood up, grabbed my brown bag and followed her and the Marketing Communications Manager to the door. We headed to the "World" restaurant where we ordered some coffee. Mine was brewed.

Then, they battered me with a lot of questions of the first fifteen minutes of the interview with why I should get the PR job when I seemed to have another passion, baking. And I said, baking is indeed a passion of mine, but PR is another. I explained how my dream job had to do with Communications and Advertising, until late last year when I began to consider pursuing Culinary Arts.

Then they asked me more questions and I had to think of better answers. I explained that I initially applied for a Culinary Apprenticeship because I wanted to try out working in the kitchen and see if the job really is for me. Adding that I'm not sure whether this is just a fond hobby or a profession I could seriously do full-time. While this PR job would be blanketing all aspects of my person, utilizing my designing, communications, writing and creative skills. Aside from the fact that this used to be my ONLY dream job.

After all the gabbing, they finally laid out what the job would demand of me, if I get it, that is. They told me of the long worktime, extending up to the wee hours of the morning if need be. Also, they asked if I was okay with changing into jeans and rubbershoes and actually doing physical labor of preparing for an event. I told them that my mom does elaborate balloon decorations as a professional hobby (long explanation), and how I am used to all that hard work.

They nodded their heads in approval. I must've looked a bit nervous then after they told me that we (if I am hired) actually handle two hotels under the same group of companies, which meant double weight of the load and double hard work. But on a happier note, they told me that because we were officially working for the two hotels, that meant receiving two amounts of the montly accumulated and divided service charges too! Kaching-kaching!

And they told me that they have gone seven months without hiring a PR officer because they are picky. They would rather do all the work than train another person and have them leave only after a couple of months. (In the case of their previous colleague, a male Atenean, he left after only a week, crying and pleading the PR director to allow his untimely resignation.) They explained that when they train a person, they really share with that guy/girl all their knowledge on the ins and outs of the business.

But I wanted this job so much that I was willing to brave all that and see how much perseverance I am made of. After that lengthy chat, she then asked if I had any engagements for the evening. I said I had none. She said she was going to call the VP for Sales & Marketing and see if I could get an interview.

While waiting for a reply, they asked me if I was a coffee drinker. The answer was a yes, and they said, good. They asked if I watched movies. The answer was a yes, with a wide range of preference, and they said, good. They asked if I smoke. I said no, and they seemed silent for the first time. They asked if I was OC, I said it depends. But when I'm working, I am because I don't like spending a lot of time lookign for things. They said, very good.

Then, the PR director suggested we best be heading off to the VP's quarters. She said she'll be sending me in there with her recommendations. With that they ushered me into the VP's office, introduced me and left me for what I thought was going to be torture. But only fifteen minutes had passed when I came out of that office, confused as to whether I amused, impressed or disappointed the VP.

Still dazed, I walked out the hallway and bumped into the PR director on her way to the restroom. She asked me what happened and I told her that the VP said I'll be receiving a call, hopefully on a positive note. The PR director patted my arm and said, "Don't worry, don't worry. I'll be the one you'll be working with naman eh... Alright? Good luck on your examinations and see you."

SEE YOU!? Did she just say see you?

All I was able to respond was "Thank you and see YA!" LOL. See how childish I really am?

Then, I left the hotel with both giddiness and fear that I was expecting too much.

That was a Wednesday, and the next day after that, I agonized over the non-existent call that I wanted to get so bad. My thoughts were all tied up with my doubts and excitement over that job. My mind replayed the scenes of the interviews over and over again that even I got so exhausted. But I couldn't help it. It was all my little brain could produce.

Fortunately, on Friday morning at half past ten, I received that long-awaited call from the HR manager informing me of an interview. She said, "Abi, you have an interview with the HR director at 1 this afternoon to talk to you about the job offer. Will you be available?"

With overspeeding mental calculations, I said "Yes and thank you." Putting the phone receiver down, I was dazed for a few minutes and then began hugging everyone in the house and texting my closest friends! I think that was the first time I had no hesitations about squeezing anyone.

Unfortunately though, due to the attempted Coup 'D Etat that morning and the rally at the Edsa Shrine, I had to reschedule that interview. The woman who received the call sympathetically said she understood, since there was no way I could get through that throng of people to the hotel without joining the rally.

So now I'm still waiting for that call...and hoping that I get through his final week of examination ALIVE.

0 comments:

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr