Wednesday, December 8

Boys and Carrots

Boys and Carrots



Hummin': Wherever you are by South Border


I was late. I grabbed all my things even before the taxi had completely stopped. When it did, I quickly placed one leg out, ready to rush to class. But before I could fully get out, I looked up--only to see him.

He was standing there, barely a meter from me. I blinked twice, and he was still there.

He was the one that I used to look forward to seeing and yet, each time I do, I incomprehensibly wanted to shrivel, melt with shyness and disappear in front of him. I wished I could talk to him, but when the rare opportunity came by, I wasn't even able to complete a sentence.

I was hooked like a horse chasing after a carrot dangled on a string in front of me that I just couldn't reach. Deep down I knew it was a futile chase, and yet, I still kept on running.

It's been a while since I last saw him. But the moment came as a surprise. It was too late too look away and pretend I didn't see him. So I did the only thing I could. I looked at him, saw him recognize me and then I walked away with my head high.

I felt so much better that day knowing that I've gained my dignity back. For that little accomplishment, I was so proud of myself.

On hindsight, I realized maybe it's because I never really liked carrots anyway.

0 comments:

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr