Thursday, December 16

Wisdom-induced Pain

Wisdom-induced Pain



Hummin': When God Ran by Craig, Philips & Dean


I woke up last Monday on the wrong side of the bed. My left cheek was hurting and my jaw clicked everytime I opened and closed my mouth. I thought I might've slept in a wrong position the previous night.

I shrugged it off as "stiff-jaw," if there is such a thing.

The next day I was a little bit worried because the pain wasn't going away. In fact, it was hurting even more and spreading up to my lower jawline and the inner part of my left ear. I ate a tablet of Ponstan to suppress the pain.

Wednesday came and I woke up only to find that I couldn't open my mouth properly without excruciating pain shooting from my nerves. I had a hard time eating (uuyy, diet) because I couldn't quite place the spoon inside my mouth. Brushing was another torture altogether.

Imagine my frustration.

But the climax of that day was when I forgot about my predicament and yawned widely in one of my classes. OH GOD, the pain... I almost made a scene by suddenly crying.

At first, I thought I might have a nerve problem--or something serious. (Yes, I am paranoid.) I consulted everyone, pointing to where the pain was rooting from. Then, my friend, Sheryl, suggested that the pain might be coming from the "birth" of my Wisdom Tooth. She had apparently suffered from the same symptoms.

I heaved a sigh of relief, thinking that everything's going to be okay.

And then, she added, "Mine had to be pulled out. Dental surgery."

(Remember my aversion to needles?) I wanted to faint right then and there.

Why oh why is WISDOM so hard to come by?

And in the rare times that it does come knocking at our doors, why do we usually have to undergo a lot of pain in order to obtain it?


* * *



New poem -- The World Never Sleeps.


0 comments:

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr