Saturday, June 4

No Secrets!

No Secrets!



Hummin': I Hope You Dance by Ronan Keating


There is no real secret or shortcuts to how you can lose those unwanted inches and still have a healthy body other than through eating less and moving more. If there is a secret solution, then maybe 61% of adult Americans wouldn't be overweight. But there is hope in hard work and perseverance.

After reading a lot of books and watching loads of Oprah, I have accumulated a rather wide collection of valuable tips and have put them into practice. As of today, I have managed to somehow lose 15 kilograms, so I guess, IT WORKS!

Knowing how much I was frustrated with myself when I was just starting on my exercise program, I hope that what I can be of help to others too. Continue reading.

1.)
Exercise. No, this word freaks people out. So, let's rephrase that to MOVING. Moving more increases the burning of calories, and that means the dissolution of fats collected in the tummy area, the thighs, the upper arms, and wherever they congregate.

Try enrolling in a gym if you're someone like me who needs a better environment than the living room, which made me just want to sit around and watch TV. And to enjoy your workout, do it with a buddy! You can also opt for joining Pilates (good for the posture too), Yoga or Aerobics classes.

Personal Tips Through Experience:
  • Instead of taking a cab home, I take the LRT-2 and walk the 3 blocks home.
  • Instead of asking the maid to get my cellphone or something from the third floor of our house, I do it myself.
  • Instead of watching TV like a couch potato, I've progressed into a moving potato (jogging in place, stretching, doing bicep curls and other arm exercises).
  • Instead of taking the elevator or escalator, take the stairs. (Yes, I'm directing this to all mall-goers too.)

    Doing this is the only way you can achieve a huge weight loss and still have a firm body. You don't want skin that hangs down like oversized clothes, do you? Plus, doing exercise actually releases Endorphins, happy hormones that'll help you keep the stress level stabilized.

    2.) Dieting. Another word that I know freaks people into automatically thinking of torture and starvation. But what about if we rephrase this word into EATING WISELY. Starving yourself will keep you in a yo-yo cycle that is hard to get out of. If you want long-term effects, choose a dieting regime that you can maintain for the long run.

    Dieting need not be a horrible experience. All you need is a little bit of patience, extra effort and determination. The following lists are guidelines.

    The Complete No-no's: You're better off without these!
  • Junk Food (Even banana chips have to go.)
  • Fast Food (Say goodbye to McDo, Jollibee, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc.)
  • Softdrinks (One can of this is about 1/4 of sugar. You're drinking SUGAR that gets turned into fats. Plus, this kind of sugar is the type that gives you a "high" and then lets you crash afterwards.)
  • Sweets (No more candies, chocolates, cookies, cakes and the likes.)
  • Chicharon, Pork and Chicken Skin (Anything deep fried is BAAAAD.)

    The Avoidables/"Sometimes" Food:
  • "White Stuff," and I quote Oprah, although she condemns this in her 12-week diet. (Bread, White Rice, Pastries, Yes and literarally Siopao)
  • Canned or boxed juices (Because I read in a book that after the juice gets squeezed from the fruit, all the fiber is taken away, and all that's left is majorly Fructose, sugar found in fruits. And again I say, excess sugar gets turned into FATS.)

    The Good Stuff:
  • Whole Grains (Oatmeal is a good source of fiber! I suggest you look for the Old-Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal. They help with cholesterol and weight management.)
  • Skim or Soya Milk (Stay away from dairy: no more cream and cheese please.)
  • Fruits and Veggies (Our bodies need at least 5 servings of these DAILY. Fiber-rich that they are, you can feel full longer.)
  • Fish (If you can, try to slowly replace your meat products with fish. Maybe eat meat as rarely as you can. Fish is rich in Omega 3, which is actually good fats for the body.)

    There are a lot of recipes in books, on TV and in several websites of healthy meals that are actually delicious and still are low enough in calories. Search Google, your local bookstore or look for newspaper and magazine recipes.

    If you are quite a rice eater, like I used to be, don't shock your body by completely cutting it out of your diet. Try limiting yourself to a cup of rice for a week, and then to half a cup for two weeks, and then to a quarter of rice for another week. After a month, you won't even miss it!

    The key here is eating in moderation. I don't think there is a strict or specific diet you have to follow. Just make sure you still get a balanced diet as much as possible. I never wanted to feel deprived, so I give myself a little allowance sometimes. Also, try to be more aware of what you put inside your mouth. Tasting a little often leads to eating a lot.

    Whew...that was a long post.

    However, I am willing to write a follow-up to this, adding more details if need be. I am also willing to answer questions and clarifications from othe frustrated folks like myself. Leave 'em below.
  • 0 comments:

     
    Header image by Flóra @ Flickr