Sunday, June 27

LOTR Purist NO LONGER!

LOTR Purist No Longer!



Hummin': Accidentally in Love by Counting Crows


'Halfings!' laughed the Rider that stood before Eomer. 'Halfings! But they are only a little people in old songs and children's tales our of the North. Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?'

'A man may do both,' said Aragorn. 'For not we, but those who come after will be the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!'


Last friday, I found myself walking around the school library with no real destination. To avoid looking like a person who hangs out in the Rizal Annex just to lug the hours away and benefit from the cool air conditioning (which I was doing), I figured much as well catch up on my reading time.

Using the computer to search for interesting books, I thought well, Lord Of The Rings would definitely be an interesting read. I typed in the book title, and found out that all the books from the two sets of the LOTR Trilogy was loaned out...except for one, The Two Towers. I wanted to read from the first book, but mere loaners can't be choosers. So, settling without much complaint, I now have a black, hardbound copy of the Two Towers here in my very room.

My expectations, though surprisingly sky high, were met by the author, J.R.R. Tolkien, gaining even more admiration (as if it were anymore possible) from an amateur writer like me. I can not quite comprehend how one person can conjure up all these fantasylands and middle earth folks with great detail. I mean, I do have an active imagination, but mine is obivously galaxies away from that of Tolkien.

As I flipped page after page, my senses were filled with so much texture and detail that I could picture every scene of the story as if I myself was in the very worlds he conceived. It was awe-inspiring the way that his words could create another place in another time, simply by description.

Speaking of creation, I must admit that after a few pages only did I begin to really appreciate the work of Director Peter Jackson who went to great lengths just to recreate the books as closely as possible. The LOTR Movies were among the few movies which were able to justify the books from whence the plots came from.

And even though books are always better than the movies that were based on them, which I can understand since movies recreate with real people as actors/actresses, time constraint and a budget, I'd give Peter Jackson the highest commendation for actually coming this close.

Ang galing talaga.

They always said he was pure genius. And I agreed; but it is only now that I can truly say, "Yes, I know."


Back to the book. Blog again later. Cheerz. *wink*

0 comments:

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr