Wednesday, June 9

Singing From the Heart

Singing From the Heart



Feelin': Reflective
Hummin': Title by Ah Du


I click on Kazaa to drown out the dull sound of the air conditioner running. Scanning the lists of artists, I go up and down in a quick motion, thinking of which singer to fit my mood. Then, I stopped at my Chinese playlist, thinking, I haven't played any of these songs for a long time now...

Click.

(I'm paraphrasing chosen lines...)

Jian chi dao di. Standing until the end.
Gan jue lei de shi hou rang wo bao jin. After you've shed tears, allow me to protect you.
Bu guan you duo ku wo hui quan xin quan li ai ni dao di. No matter what difficulties and struggles (hirap) that may come, I will love you still.

~ * ~

Jiu Suan Shi Jian Wang Le Suo You Jing Guo De Di Fang
Wo Hai Shi Zhao De Dao Ni Yan Li Qing Che De Guang
Gao Su Wo Di Qiu Shang De Yu Yan Zhen Me Qu Xing Rong
Na Yi Zhong Bi Yin He Geng Jiu Geng Wen Nuan De Yong Yuan

Even if time forgets all the places that we have been to,
I can still find the crystal clear light in your eyes
Tell me how to describe the languages of earth,
the type of eternity that is longer than the galaxy


For my short-spanned Chinese vocabulary, forgive me. These songs are love songs. The man sings of his love for this woman, how she had became a part of his life. He sings of endless love; of love that fears not what others will think or how others will react. A love that knows no boundaries.

Most of the time, I download and listen to Chinese songs for their soothing melodies. I can hardly understand what the lines mean, but in the few instances that I tried to dissect the lyrics and find their meanings, I am always blown away by the content of these sparse lines I can actually understand.

Because of the lack of direct translation from Chinese to English, the lines may appear cheesy, but when you comprehend the degree at which they sing of love, you would probably agree that the songs have a way at getting to you. They talk of your human needs, pluck at your heartstrings and make you sway with the melody.

Odd. And I speak as someone who sings without understanding.

Music speaks no language and holds no boundaries. Chinese, English, Filipino...it wouldn't matter much, for Music sings to the soul.

Swoon.

0 comments:

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr